Presented by W!LD RICE, the Singapore Theatre Festival is an event dedicated to celebrating contemporary Singaporean theatre through the development and presentation of new and original local writing. The Festival takes place in the months of July and August, when Singapore celebrates National Day; it is in this context that theatre artists and the public are encouraged to engage in a conversation about theatre, Singapore and the world.
In four editions since 2006, the Festival has collaborated with local theatre companies and artists to present 25 productions, including 17 world premieres, of new local writing. The Festival prides itself on having collaborated with undiscovered, emerging and established playwrights, including Alfian Sa’at, Eleanor Wong, Huzir Sulaiman, Chong Tze Chien, Ovidia Yu and Joel Tan. In 2013, the Festival launched ‘In The Spotlight’ to present a season dedicated to the works of a single local playwright. It remains the only festival in Singapore that focuses on presenting fully realised productions of new local writing.
The Aims of the Festival
- To develop, produce and promote Singapore theatre, with a focus on new works;
- To re-appraise Singapore’s existing repertoire of plays with today’s audiences, thereby creating the country’s own classics;
- To present the best of contemporary Singapore theatre-making; and
- To engage audiences and artists in a conversation about theatre, Singapore and the world.
Since 2006, the Festival has:
- Enriched the social, cultural and intellectual life of Singapore;
- Raised the levels of awareness and appreciation for Singapore theatre;
- Encouraged the creation of distinctive homegrown work;
- Enhanced the international image of Singapore as a vibrant creative city; and
- Created a literary and artistic legacy for future generations of Singaporeans.
Praise for the Singapore Theatre Festival
“It was a year in which ambitious, heartfelt local productions outshone lacklustre, lumbering art imports… the main event in the world of the arts this year was arguably W!LD RICE’s inaugural Singapore Theatre Festival in August.”
– The Straits Times
“The blockbuster event of the year!”